Sunday, July 1, 2012

Oh Canada!


Today is Canada Day, and my birthday, which makes me happy because I am rather fond of our neighbors to the north. Here in New England they are not even that far north. I had gone to Canada several times in my life and never had a bad experience. Ok, I did get sick in Falmouth for a day, but that wasn't Falmouth's fault! My feeling for our neighbors were cemented on a trip we took many years ago. We took our car on a ferry  to Nova Scotia. Arriving in Halifax we could not find parking anywhere and just decided to park just anywhere downtown.  We took a nice walk, did a lot of window shopping, found a really great antique place and saw some art. We were gone a long time and worried we would get several tickets, or worse our car would be towed, as was our fate in Manhattan just the month earlier. In that case we left out car for just 20 minutes, 20 minutes!!!  This time we got back to our car and indeed there was a ticket. I wish I still had it so I can post it online. It said:

                             You have violated a parking regulation here in Halifax. But you are excused! Welcome, visitor to Halifax and have a great stay!

In the back of the ticket was tourist attractions we can visit during our stay. My friend says that was brilliant marketing on their part. I like to think Canada is just that nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment